Saturday, April 26, 2008

Belay On!


Belay On!

Don't Worry - Mike made her an awesome harness!


Today we experienced of what I hope to be a first of many climbing experiences with Annabelle! Despite the fact that Mike has once again been left asleep on the couch, I cannot take him to bed without first posting how proud and excited I am. We went up Rock Canyon to climb with our friends the Connews and after all the adults that wanted to had climbed we decided to let the 2 little girls see if they like it, and the adventurous pair did! I was so proud of Annabelle, she was so quick I could hardly keep up behind her (I wanted to be close in case she got nervous or hurt herself) - she never got nervous, she was so confident and didn't seem to care if there was too much slack in the line or whatever. She problem solved and used a bunch of different techniques AND she did it all in her Crocs! After she got pretty close to the bolt Mike was worried that if she slipped she would swing so we had to stop her from climbing. We didn't feel ready to try belaying so I simply grabbed the carabiner that was attached to her harness and I carried her down like a duffel bag.

You may be wondering why I am so excited about climbing today (since I'm not a HUGE climber myself) and to tell you the truth I'm a little surprised at my excitement over the whole thing. I guess I didn't realize how much I missed being able to go and do adventurous things with Mike since Annabelle was born, but now she is really starting to get old enough to hike (if I can just be patient enough with her pace) and now climbing! Who knows, maybe next Christmas we'll be strapping her in for her first snowboarding lesson!

A little problem solving

At the Top

9 comments:

Matt said...

I was hoping you where gonna post some pics, we had a blast!!!!! thanks for taking us with!!!

Lindsay said...

Those are such cute pictures! I can't believe she wasn't scared--what a brave little girl!

Hannah said...

That's one of the perks of having older more independent kids! You have a lot more freedom! Enjoy it while it lasts! I was just getting to have a little more freedom the last few months before having Ephraim! Not that I'm complaining ... I really do love my baby, I just always forget how much less you can get away from the house to do adventurous things! I'm glad you were able to have so much fun with Annabelle! Those pics are ADORABLE!

alma and nicole smith said...

WOW!!! go anna! i can't believe how big she's getting. alma's going to die when he sees this! he litterally cannot wait to take jagger climbing! she is a natural!

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

You guys are cool. I love how confident little Annabelle is. That must have been so fun.

Amy said...

That is SO amazing! What cool parents you are!

Jessi, DJ, Annica and Eli said...

Go Annabelle!!! She really did get pretty dang high huh?!?! Man that Anna, she can do anything!

Hksedwick said...

WOW!! I am impressed. This winter you should totally get her on a snowboard (or maybe some skiis, because they might be easier to learn at first) she will love it.

faith said...

that's awesome, tia! i can't believe how big annabelle is now. and i love her movie star pictures. so cute!

when are you guys moving to phoenix?

by the way, small world, nicole smith was in my stake in las vegas before i moved to utah. i didn't know her all that well, but i knew some of her friends pretty well!