Monday, April 6, 2009

Sedona


To celebrate Mike's birthday last month we decided to go explore Sedona, Arizona. I had recently made a comment to Mike that I wouldn't mind going camping but the sooner we planned a trip the better. He realized that with a growing belly and rising temperatures that now was the time!

Sedona is a beautiful town about 2 hours north of Phoenix. The main street section of town reminded me a lot of mountain towns in Colorado and Utah. Like Breckenridge or Park City there were galleries, jewelry shops, spas and upscale restaurants. A small section of town is a historic replica called Talaquepaque. There were fancy shops and all of that but the architecture and outdoor art was what we really enjoyed the most. Another attraction is "Chapel of the Holy Cross". We visited this chapel that was built up on the rocks on the edge of town. It was so beautiful. 
Surrounding Sedona are large red cliffs and rock structures much like southern Utah. The ponderosa pine smell reminded me of when I was Annabelle's age and my family lived not too far away in Prescott, Arizona. We camped up in a winding canyon near Oak Creek. The temperatures dropped pretty low but we stayed warm and managed to suck down some of the corn chowder that I had burnt. 
 
Annabelle's favorite part of the trip, hands down, was sitting by the creek and throwing rocks in. We spent several hours there, throwing rocks, watching hikers and fisherman. I told her stories about my Papa that was an avid fisherman and she was quickly hooked on the idea. In fact, after we got in the tent she kept asking for more and more stories. Around the time I had exhausted my repertoire of Papa fishing and camping stories she looked at me with excited eyes and said "Let's stay up all night long and tell fishing stories, until the sun comes up!" 
It was so fun and relaxing to spend time together away from our usual distractions. I highly recommend it!

11 comments:

Chelsea said...

That is so beautiful! I love the desert, especially when it looks like that.

The Spanns said...

So gorgeous! And HOW fun! Makes me want to hit the road... I am ready! Beautiful pictures too, love them. I was in the canyon the other day and was reminded of Mike's birthday the other year - we miss you guys!

JA and co. said...

You look so cute, Tia! And I love the picture of Annabelle and Mike sitting on the rocks. It made me want to watch A River Runs Through It just for the fly fishing :).

Jessi, DJ, Annica and Eli said...

wow it looks beautiful there! Grandma dana was so excited that you were going there because they really enjoyed it when they went! YOu have some really gorgeous pictures! and it looks like you had such a great time! Wahoo for roughing it you cute pregnant woman! .... haha annabelle is so funny!

Jess C. said...

It looks SO beautiful there! I'm glad you all were able to get away for a fun camping trip. Love you!

The Peterson's said...

You are great! I don't know if I would have gone camping while prego!

Unknown said...

for the back drop we used fabric from IKEA!!
you might have to take a trip to utah to get fabric from the Ikea in Draper.
i hope you are loving everyday that you can spend outside. for us we are just starting to see the signs of the snow melting!!

DaNiElLe said...

Yay! There is a baby in that belly! You are amazing, I don't think I'd want to bother camping with the discomfort of pregnancy. But then again, I never got to see beautiful sites like those so I guess I missed out. Lazy little me. :)

Brett and Amanda said...

not gonna lie, we blog spy on you too haha. blogs are just such an easy way to know what people are up to! definitely you can add us to your blog roll, and we will do the same so i can stop getting here through other people's blogs haha

Amy said...

What a beautiful trip! I am so jealous you were able to get away. I think we have missed the boat on the time to go away before the baby comes. You belly is so cute!

grandma Shauna said...

This is so beautiful and I'm glad you got to go and have so much fu and take gorgous pictures to show us! Love you - all four!