Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Triple Crown



'The Triple Crown' as my dad refers to it, has become a family holiday. Traditionally our family and my parents get together to celebrate the birthdays of my mom, Annabelle and I. We three share a birthday and it has made celebrating really fun. This year we got together in Colorado.

Traditionally we have cheesecake, which is my all time favorite favorite. My mom enjoys trying out different recipes. Which has worked out every year with the exception of my 7th or 8th grade year when she tried a recipe with gelatin in it. I had some friends from school over and my mom began to serve the cake. By the time we all had a piece in our hands and she headed back into the kitchen the cake reached room temperature and began to melt, leaving little clumps of gelatin that looked like boogers as the only solid on the plate. Upon reaching the kitchen to eat her own piece of cake my mom noticed the mishap and ran back into the party. My friends were sitting there politely trying to scoop up the delicious tasting mess with their forks. They insisted that the cake tasted great but we have laughed about that cake ever since.
Last year I went with a store bought cake as I was hosting the triple crown. I had bought a chocolate cheesecake from this particular store before and it was so delicious that I was sure that the fact that it was store bought could easily be overlooked. When I went to the store to buy one however, they did not have the chocolate version. I bought a plain and raspberry cheesecake instead. Of course they tasted like cardboard and I am determined to bake my own cheesecakes from now on.
This year my mom found another recipe that included gelatin. We excitedly agreed that THIS was to be the year that we conquered the booger gelatin cake. As my mom sat down the night before our birthday to read the recipe she realized that it had eggs in it even though the cake was never baked, only refrigerated. Grossed out we all opted for an oldie but a goodie: Cheesecake with chocolate ganache topping! The topping tastes like the inside of a chocolate truffle and my mom describes it as "wicked good"! Jealous?

Besides cake the birthday bash was fun. Annabelle wanted to go to Chuck E Cheese's and so we made sure to go. Annabelle had requested of my mom that she have a "king, queen, princess, castle, pony, unicorn, rainbow" birthday cake. My mom did her best and found a cake with a rainbow and three princesses. Annabelle was satisfied. Our friends Alma & Nicole met us at Chuck E. Cheese as well. Their little Jagger and Annabelle enjoyed the arcade and the pizza.


Another memorable circumstance of this year's celebration was the INSANE cold front that hit Colorado right before we got there. Who would have guessed that we would have had snow and sooo much ice on our birthdays?
Mike got up early one morning and took some beautiful pictures of what autumn looks like when frost comes early. We'll post those along with some of our other favorite landscape pictures from the trip soon.

11 comments:

faith said...

well happy birthday to all of you! what a fun thing to be able to do. and what fun cheesecake stories! sounds like there are some wonderful memories. the way it should be. :)

Andy and Melissa said...

I think it is so awesome that you all share the same birthday. How fun!!!

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

How fun! I love the triple crown title - very few can claim that! Hope you had a great daY!

grandma Shauna said...

What a fun triple birthday. We would have loved to see you all and especially taste that cheesecake!

Ben and Jane Grimmett said...

Happy Birthday to you beautiful girls!!!! Send my love to your family and tell everyone hi for me!!! Love ya!

The Peterson's said...

Birthday are wonderful but to share it with those that you love would be a blast! I am glad that you got together for your birthdays! Happy Late Birthday!

Sue said...

Luv it!Luv it! Luv it!

The Fox Family said...

I love that you guys all share a birthday! That is so neat. Happy late Birthday!!

Jessi, DJ, Annica and Eli said...

This just registered on my comp that you had written this... os i am late here but I love it! That cake looks absolutely amazing! .... are you going to post a recipe? (hint nit) glad you had fun in colorado and as always... we wish we could have been there!

Growing Up Skye said...

Okay, so apparently I haven't looked at your blog for awhile. I see lots of new pictures! I'm glad you had fun for your birthdays! Oh, and I am jealous of the chocolate ganache. Lance and I had a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache frosting with chocolate covered strawberries for our wedding cake! It was deeelicious!

alma and nicole smith said...

thanks so much for letting us help you celebrate!! sorry we didnt see you more!