Tuesday, July 7, 2009

One Month

We've had our sweet Asa for a month now and it has been pure bliss! He is such a sweet boy and time has been flying far too quickly. Since he was born he has been a great eater and still hasn't developed too much more of a cry than a quiet fuss.
The first week after Asa was born my mom was here to help with Annabelle and take care of all of us once we got home. It was great to not worry about all the details and to know that Annabelle was having a blast with outings to the library and little projects to keep her busy. Thanks a million mom!
The following week we had Mike's parents here to help me out and entertain Annabelle as well. I felt so great thanks to their help that I didn't feel like I was really in recovery anymore. Most of the time we just played, ran errands (some necessary, others just because I liked getting out of the hosue) and enjoyed snuggles from Asa. It was a wonderful week and a great way to transition into having kids.
After family left, the reality of how quickly I could get behind on things like dishes and getting out of my pjs set in, so I stopped worrying about it and have for the most part just been doing the minimum to maintain the house and snuggling with this little bug the rest of the time.
Annabelle just wants to love and play with Asa a good portion of the day. I can tell he really likes her, he will breath all fast and kick around more when she approaches him. But he also gets nervous when she is super loud and in his face. I keep wondering if he will be a louder kid just so that he will be heard over her, or if he will be quieter because she is so loud . . . so far quieter - but not necessarily because of her.
In other Annabelle news . . . she got her ears pierced last week! I had told her she could get it done whenever she wanted. For the last 6 months or so she told me that she wanted to wait until she was 11. But after asking every day for about a week we took her and got it done. She was so determined, she hardly flinched. Beforehand she said that she wasn't scared, but that she still wanted to hold Mike's hand. Afterward she said that it didn't hurt, but that it did hurt a little bit.
Mike was able to take the first week off after Asa was born and has since then been making the most of his afternoons and evenings by helping me with a never ending 'honey do list', playing with Anna and of course taking pictures all along the way. Annabelle snapped this one of Mike a week or so ago- a great portrait I think!
We celebrated our 4th of July weekend with all of my family and Mike's parents in town again. Mike has jokingly invited people to come visit us for the 4th of July since we moved here, but who would have guessed that we would actually have a compelling enough reason to have people come down! Mike blessed Asa in church on Sunday. It was great to have so many family members here to participate and support us. Thankfully they all made it out alive, despite the 111 degree weather.
I feel so blessed to have a healthy, sweet baby in the house again. He is a constant reminder to take things slow, enjoy the family that I have been blessed with and that time goes way too fast. I feel gratitude in my heart everyday for such blessings.
Thanks for all the notes and comments you have left. Sorry I haven't responded or even been commenting on other posts. I haven't been spending all that much time on the computer - but I haven't forgotten you, I've just been happily distracted lately!

12 comments:

Rosalia said...

Thanks for the wonderful visits! We love you.
Annabelle, grandma says you can still have pickles for breakfast.
mom

Amy said...

He is so sweet and you can see both of you and Annabelle in him. I am glad to hear it is going well. We blessed Zac on sunday too.

The Spanns said...

Thank you for posting! We love seeing the update and sweet litle Asa. Keep on being happily distracted - you are so right about it going so quickly!

The Peterson's said...

What a good reason to be busy! He is cute and I am glad that settling into kids has been easy on you!

grandma Shauna said...

Asa is truly the calmest baby I have ever been with. It is so peaceful to hold him whether he's asleep or awake. Also he is just as adorable as Annabelle and I'm sure he will be just as smart and fun. I was there for the ear piercing, and WOW Anna is one spunky brave girl.

Holly said...

Thanks for the update! Asa is a cutie (and so it Annabelle), and I love all the pictures. Glad to hear that Asa is such a good little baby, and I'm glad you're taking the time to enjoy him. Hope things continue to go well for you guys!

alma and nicole smith said...

awe, we love you guys! we wish so badly you lived here in CO so we could slowly adjust and love life together with our kiddies. i LOVE annabelle's ear piercings! i can't wait to pierce viennas, the only thing that's stopped me is how small her earlobe is...i don't know if an earing would fit yet? keep the pics coming! we hope to see you soon!!

Jess C. said...

I love the pictures! Asa looks just like Annabelle, I hope you're getting enough rest and all of that, especially in the ridiculous weather there! Love you guys

we chirp said...

Beautiful! You look it, everyone looks it.

Unknown said...

Jackie here, from English 313 (best teacher ever) and the MOA.

I came from the facebook.

Your children are BEAUTIFUL. Congrats

Caroline Elia Seguritan said...

The family looks great! Congratulations!

Jessie's Jargon said...

You always have such great pictures to post. Asa is beautiful and you are looking great! :)