Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Harvest Creamy Corn "Choup" with Parsley


I realize that a harvest soup recipe now is a little late in the season, BUT it is finally soup weather here, so I will share it anyway. I love this soup because it is delicious, I usually have at least half of the ingredients in my house before I decide that I want to make it AND because it freezes really really well. I usually make this full recipe, have leftovers the next day and freeze 2 sandwich bags for later (wether it be for us or a last minute dinner to someone else). Also - the popcorn on top . . . so fun and so good! Oh and go all out on fresh herbs if you want, but I just use the dry version. Here are the ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 4 slices bacon, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4-5 large ears corn, scraped from cob or 1 box frozen corn (I just use a can of corn)
  • 1 medium or 2 small zucchini, chopped - DON'T skip this, so so good
  • 1 pound small potatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley (a couple of generous handfuls), chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • A few dashes of hot sauce, to taste
  • Oyster crackers or white cheddar popcorn, to pass at the table
Preparation

Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add bacon to hot EVOO and cook until crisp at edges. Add onion, corn, zucchini, potatoes and bell pepper as you get them chopped, then add the bay leaf, thyme and paprika. Cook for 7-8 minutes to begin to soften.

Sprinkle flour around the pot, stir and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the stock and let it come up to a bubble and thicken up a bit, then stir in the milk, cream and parsley and simmer for 5 minutes.

Season the soup with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste and serve with crackers or popcorn to float on top. 


Credit once again goes to Rachael Ray




7 comments:

Rosalia said...

Tia,
Interested in cooking dinner one night when you are home over Christmas break? Soup sounds yummy.

Meg said...

That looks awesome! I'm definitely gonna have to steal that recipe and maybe in a couple months I'll make it, because that's when I prob get around to it. :)

Amy said...

Oh delicious! You are such a good cook you always amaze me!

Sara Lee said...

Hey don't forget I tagged you. So I want your superficial Christmas list or else.

The Spanns said...

I think I am going to make it this weekend! It looks sooooo good! I love that you post cool recipes like this :)

Jessi, DJ, Annica and Eli said...

I've got the ingrediants and am super ecitd about it! Tonight is the night! PS we have internet now!

Kristin said...

I made this tonight and it was a hit with Sam! It was so easy to make and now there are lots of leftovers. Thank you, thank you!